The Carl Parsell Scholarship Fund
27704 Franklin Rd., Southfield, MI 48034
The mission of The Carl Parsell Scholarship Fund is to assist members and their families who are motivated to improve society by enhancing their future careers through a college education.
Carl Parsell is rightfully remembered as the architect of modern-day police labor relations, as well as the preeminent pioneer of the law enforcement union movement. It would be nearly impossible to write a history of police unions without spotlighting him in the leading role. Carl spent an unparalleled career thinking about the welfare of the employees he represented, always taking effective actions to constantly improve their economic status, working conditions, and future. Known for his many accomplishments, Carl was greatly respected and set a tremendous example for all.
Those who knew Carl still embrace his strength and continue to put his beliefs to work. The Carl Parsell Scholarship Fund, established in 1991, honors Carl's memory in the most appropriate way possible; by continuing his legacy of improving the lives and futures of others, through education.
Carl Parsell Scholarships are awarded to deserving college bound students who desire assistance with their college tuition. Those benefiting from this program are the families of MAP, MAPE, and MAFF union members. Carl Parsell Scholarships may be used to cover a portion of educational expenses, including tuition, living expenses, and other required fees during the 2013-2014 school year. Scholars may use the award to attend any United States accredited university, college, community college, junior college, two or four year accredited degree-granting institution, or vocational training institution that grants a certification or license. Funds derived from the Carl Parsell Memorial Scholarship Golf Outing determine the number of scholarships to be awarded annually. The maximum award available per student is $1,000 (one thousand dollars).
To be eligible to compete in The Carl Parsell Scholarship Fund Program:
- Scholarship candidates must be a resident of the State of Michigan.
- Scholarship candidates must be a member of, or immediately related to a member of one of the following organizations:
° Michigan Association of Police, or
° Michigan Association of Public Employees, or
° Michigan Association of Fire Fighter
- Scholarship candidates must have, or will have completed a high school education or its equivalent, on or prior to June 30, 2013.
- Scholarship candidates must not have been convicted of any misdemeanors or felonies
- Scholars must be enrolled at the time of receipt of the scholarship as a full time student in an accredited institution of higher learning. This would include attendance at any United States accredited university, college, community college, junior college, two or four-year accredited degree-granting institution, or vocational training institution that grants a certification or license.
- Applicants must submit their fully completed, signed application to The Carl Parsell Scholarship Fund on or before the March 1, 2013 deadline. If you have any questions please call The Carl Parsell Scholarship Fund (800-368-1159) for guidance.
Important, please note:
- Benefit determinations are made in a nondiscriminatory manner without regard to religion, race, color, physical or mental disabilities, sexual orientation, height, weight, age, marital status, or national origin of the prospective applicant.
- MAP, MAPE, and MAFF executive board members, employees, and their families are not eligible to apply.
- No Carl Parsell Scholarship Fund trustee or any member of The Carl Parsell Scholarship Fund trustee's family (including wife/husband, mother/father, and children/first cousins) shall be eligible for consideration as a recipient.
- Previous Carl Parsell Scholarship recipients are not eligible. 2013 Scholarship Award(s) must be used for the 2013-2014 school year.
- Carl Parsell Scholarship awards are paid directly to the college degree granting institution on behalf of the scholarship winner(s). Distribution of this fund will be accomplished by the submission of documentation of expenses; whereby, a check will be made out and forwarded to the institution. Award payment is contingent upon each Scholar providing the proper documentation in a timely manner to The Carl Parsell Scholarship Fund. Withdrawing or dropping a class may affect a potential refund as the college, university, or educational institution will be required to refund Carl Parsell Scholarship Awards directly to The Carl Parsell Scholarship Fund.
Scholarship recipients will be notified of their award status on or before June 1, 2013.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS & CHECKLIST
Please follow the application instructions carefully. If you do not understand an instruction, call The Carl Parsell Scholarship Fund (800-368-1159) for guidance.
- Candidates must submit an original Application Form, signed by the applicant and fully completed. Please do not leave any question blank. If you cannot answer a question, you may fill in the blank with "None," "Zero," or “N/A" where appropriate.
- Application responses must be typed or printed legibly. Applications not legible will be disqualified for scholarship consideration.
- Scholarship Applicants should submit applications on the forms available (or photocopies of these forms). Application forms may be obtained through Scholarship Fund at (800) 368-1159.
- Candidates may submit additional information and/or documentation along with their application (for example: copies of letters of recommendation, awards, scholarships, personal accomplishments, school transcripts, etc.). Please do not send originals, as we are unable to return.
- The application must be written in English and all supporting documents must be in English or translated into English.
- Please take the time needed to prepare your written responses. The quality and relevance of your writing may be one of the top determining factors for earning this scholarship award.
- Candidates should consider the time needed to mail the application. Completed applications (along with any supporting documents) must be received by The Carl Parsell Scholarship Fund no later than March 1, 2013. Applications may be mailed, faxed, or shipped to the address specified:
The Carl Parsell Scholarship Fund
207704 Franklin Rd., Southfield, MI 48034-8206.
Fax: 248-304-8810 Phone: 800-368-1159.
- Make sure the Certification page is signed and included with your application. Please note: All applications and supporting materials become the property of The Carl Parsell Scholarship Fund, and as such, will not be returned. By submitting an application, the applicant accepts the conditions stated in this document.
AWARD SELECTION CRITERIA
The Carl Parsell Scholarship Selection Committee may base, awards on academic achievement and potential, character, leadership, social awareness, career goals, financial need, will to succeed, and public service/community involvement.
March 1, 2013
Deadline for receipt of applications for the Carl Parsell Scholarship Fund 2011competition.
March and April 2013
Scholarship Selection Committee begins the selection process.
Scholarship Selection Committee meets to conclude the scholarship selection process.
Scholarship recipients have been notified of their status. 2013 Carl Parsell Scholarship winners are formally recognized during the 23nd annual Carl Parsell Memorial Golf Outing.
July and August 2013
The Carl Parsell Scholarship Fund mails Scholarship checks to each Scholar's college or university.
APPLICATION DEADLINE AND MAILING
The Carl Parsell Scholarship Fund 27704 Franklin Road Southfield, MI 48034-8206
Please consider the time needed to mail your application. To be eligible, completed applications (along with any supporting documents) must be received by The Carl Parsell Scholarship Fund no later than March 1, 2013. Applications may be mailed, faxed, or shipped to the address specified below:
The Carl Parsell Scholarship Fund
27704 Franklin Road Southfield, MI 48034-8206
Fax: 248-304-8810 Phone: 800-368-1159
For further information about the scholarship, please contact Ms. Julie Palmquist at any of the following:
Telephone: 248-304-8806 Toll-free phone: 800-368-1159